Senior Underwriter and Risk Analyst
Who we are:
Qualpay is a modern, cloud-based fully-integrated payments platform, taking the complexity out of payment transactions, making it easier than ever to process payments in all the ways consumers make purchases today. Our reporting intelligence (RI) and data analytics allow our businesses and partners to manage their payment
finances quickly and efficiently, saving time and money. The Qualpay platform also allows businesses and partners to anticipate and react to future business developments with in-depth and robust analysis that can inform business decisions and drive operational efficiencies—all leading to further success down the road. We
are headquartered in San Mateo, CA.
What you will be doing:
The Underwriter and Risk Analyst will work responsible for the supporting of all aspects of our merchant account underwriting, financial analysis, compliance, and manage the risk of the account post underwriting. This position requires a diligent, critical thinker, who is detail-oriented and demonstrates a high level of professionalism. This will be done by monitoring and managing at a merchant account and/or portfolio (assigned segment) level for potential credit, merchant oversite, and consumer fraud as well as being responsible for reducing and/or eliminating financial risk due to identifiable fraud or business failure. The Senior Underwriter and Risk Analyst is an integral member of the Business Operations team and reports directly to the Director of Credit Underwriting and Risk Management.
Promoting and supporting a collaborative, positive team environment within the Operations team, internal company associates, sales representatives, and our partners.
- Understanding, supporting, and assisting in maintaining the procedures for underwriting merchant accounts within the policies established by Qualpay and in accordance to Sponsor Banks as well as Card Brand requirements.
- Knowledge of the underwriting and risk management nuances associated with the verticals Qualpay does business within and apply as well as evolve this understanding during underwriting and risk management.
- Solid understanding of credit/risk strategy, process improvement and risk monitoring tools.
- Critically analyzes financial and credit application data and understands the credit exposure and risk exposure.
- Financial risk, and for potential merchant and consumer fraud, including carding.
- Develop specific plans of action designed to mitigate risk – conduct and document investigations.
- Supports the implementation and quality control of new features supporting Underwriting and Risk Management.
- Manages the ongoing risk management of accounts within a specified vertical, responding to risk alerts. Prepares investigation materials and manages interactions with the customer and internal audiences.
- Monitors and re-underwrites current customers flagged for potential increased risk assessment.
- Maintain knowledge of compliance with card brand changes, company policies and procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Work assigned daily and monthly risk queues, assist in reserve management, ACH process monitoring and perform other related duties and support other departments as assigned by your manager.
- Participate in risk management meetings, bring merchant concerns, and propose process improvement and strategies to mitigate risk and liability to the organization.
- Perform merchant education and training as needed, and work directly with individual merchants to implement and monitor the plans of action developed.
- Provide customer support to respond and resolve technical inquiries and issues through phone calls, email, and chats.
- Ability to identify issue trends and utilize available tools, resources, teams to troubleshoot and resolve customer issues.
- Communicate effectively with Customers and Team to develop strong customer relationships.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree desired or equivalent; an accounting, statistics, or business background is a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience within an underwriting, credit, or risk management role is desirable.
- Familiarity with HTML, e-commerce, shopping carts, payment gateways a plus.
- Familiarity with Card Brand Compliance and Processing Rules and Regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with
internal and external team members as well as customers.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a group setting and contribute to team goals.
- Proven ability to think outside of defined parameters with an analytical and investigative mind to offer up solutions to complex situations.
- Ability to use Excel to analyze data and evaluate processing parameters for risk flags and concerns.
- Excellent use of primary and secondary resources to research and evaluate applicants and verticals.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) as well as Google Suite Tools
What we offer you:
- First-hand experience of building in a growing start-up company
- Supportive and collaborative team environment.
- Competitive salary -Salary range is $80k to $120k and will be adjusted for market
- Equity in privately held company.
- Group medical, dental and vision insurance – 20% employee paid and 50% for dependents
- STD, LTD, AD&D, Life Insurance, Employee Assistance Program – 100% paid by company
- 401K and dollar for dollar matching up to the first 3%
- Paid holidays – 11 days
- Personal Time Off (PTO) – 3 weeks